Although I resist the concept that time begins to move faster as you get older, there may be some element of truth in it because I’m not sure where this year went. This marks our one year anniversary of being Floridians. South Floridians. Tropical people? It’s hard to describe how extremely fast this year has gone for us and how many things have been packed into it. I feel as though we’ve just arrived. I figured a new years update was in order.
I am at the place in my adjusting process here that I now know, fairly certainly, at any given moment which way north, east, south and west are even though they are all backwards on this end of the country. The sun still seems confused and comes up out of the ocean. This is still, very odd. But I am getting use to things like your whole body not hurting because it’s January and you walk out side. That I’ve adjusted too quite well. I continue to tell people, I’m not from here. This is probably just a pride issue not willing to release my Californian identity to become from Florida. But the truth is, I LOVE the beaches. I love the green, all the water and how much it rains.
I’ve loved photographing people here, I’ve loved having people get in the water for their maternity sessions and wear sundresses for their portraits, because what else would you wear in south Florida? I’ve loved finding old bridges and fields that I’m a little afraid to explore, but I do anyway (I still haven’t seen any alligators and I’m sure they’re here somewhere). I’ve loved seeing the buildings and ponds and reflections galore. Honestly this place is a portrait photographers dream in many ways.
This brings me to… drum roll please… my Top 10 Californian Adjustments to Moving to south Florida list. (I’m not Dr Seuss, although we share a birthday, it’s all I had.)
1. It’s beautiful.
2. I really do like change and this is a pretty massive change from the mountains of southern California.
3. My kids think it’s awesome. Mostly.
4. Being a photographer here is wonderful.
5. There is every possible backdrop for a natural light photographer. Yay.
6. The beach.
7. The beach is warm.
8. People. There really are a whole lot of wonderful people out here. We’ve been blessed to make some incredible friends.
9. It rains all the time and I love that.
10. The beach again. Yes, it needed three separate points.
1. Bugs. You have them. They like me.
2. Alligators. I know they’re here somewhere.
3. Fall. You forgot to have it.
4. That brings me to winter… come on no snow for Christmas?? None??
5. No In n Out. This is a major issue.
6. Pretty sure a dinosaur lives in the preserve in front of my house. It may just simply be the amazon jungle. Either way it’s loud and a little freaky after dark.
The beach. Sorry, wrong list.
8. Snakes. I have nothing else to say on that.
9. There is never any reason to have a sweater here. I really like sweaters.
10. Everything is flat.
That was way more fun than any new years resolutions that I’m probably not going to keep anyway. 🙂 Here are some fun, entirely HTC One cell phone shot images of some of our daily adventures and adjustments. Cheers 2015.